We try to keep a stack of shipping pallets on hand for projects like this. After a little measuring and head scratching, we sorted out the best pallets for the job (the cleanest with the least cracks between boards). We cut the pallets to size and ripped boards off on side, then assembled the pieces into the four sides of each of the beds.
We used the last of our plastic supply (left over from another job) to line the beds—both to keep the boards from rotting and to keep our growing soil away from whatever might be on the boards. We had already hauled in a truck bed of soil and leaf mulch from the nursery, which made filling the beds so much easier than last year.
With rain on the way, we were happy to get a few plants in the first two beds. Two planters are staying outside the fence as an experiment to see if the local critters can leave watermelon and pumpkin plants in peace. (They take up too much space to be invited inside the garden fence.)
Click on the pictures below for more details.