The floor insulation portion of this process felt endless at times. Because we wanted to build our floor on top of the wheel wells, we had to use 10-inch floor joists, leaving deep cavities. After a lot of research and thinking, we realized we could attach furring strips 3 1/2 inches from the top of the joists to hold insulation up against the subfloor. We measured and cut layers of rigid foam insulation for each pocket between joists, then used spray foam to fill the gaps.
Believe me, it was a happy day when we moved on to framing, where a few cuts and a little screwing results in something tangible and satisfying: the skeleton of our walls. We also installed four sturdy posts that will carry the weight of our clerestory roofline. Let the framing continue!